Friday, October 23, 2009

Am I crazy?



Swine flu has hit our town this week. IT's in the schools...so it's starting it's rounds. I have kept my kids home from school since wednesday.
I have had different reactions to this of course...some people think it's good, some think I'm paranoid and crazy. Even if they don't say it out loud, I can tell most of the time what people are thinking.
I don't enjoy keeping them home from school...in fact, I feel quite bad about it.
At the same time, a LOT of kids are sick right now. NOT saying it's the pig flu, but could be other things...I just didn't feel good about sending them off.
Am I over-protective? maybe...
The problem is that you hear such different things about this flu. one extreme to the other. YES, I've heard it's mild, and YES, I've heard it's serious. Do you take your chances? I'm not sure...
I want to wait for the vaccines...which will be here next week. Will I keep my kids home until then? I'm honestly not sure...
So...I'm aware through talking to people at the library yesterday that there are some that agree with me. Ben gives me facebook updates on his friends that are sick...more each day. And yes, some have pig flu.
I'm also aware that some think I'm overboard and crazy...
SO...what do YOU think?

8 comments:

Our Loved-up Family said...

I would do the same thing, it's not worth the risk.

The Evansons said...

I don't think you are! I haven't left my house since Wednesday and when Andy gets home from work I make him wash his hands pronto, I am also constantly pulling out the handsanitizer!

cindy W said...

I feel better already...

Sylvie Schow said...

It is so hard to sift through all the opinions! And it is all people are talking about. It is hard not to get paraniod about it. I am still not sure what to do either. The flu is already everywhere, and it takes 2 weeks for the vaccination to take effect. We already got the regular flu shot. We will most likely get it.

cindy W said...

Sylvie...this is why it's so hard. I heard from a nurse from the states that it takes 2 or 3 days and you're good...and a pharmacist's assistant that I know of said that once it's in your system, at least you have SOME protection.
I go back and forth...cautious, then not as much. who knows.

jenniho ♥ said...

Im really don't know...It's in our schools here. Reagan was fluish for the past few days. She missed like 5 days of school. It wasn't the swine flu but I don't want her giving anything to other kids swine flu or regular. I hope most Moms would do the same. I wonder how many cases there really are and how many of it is self diagnosed swine flu? I think if you feel you should keep your kids home, you should. Go with your mothering instinct on this one and who cares if you're crazy or not?...at least your kids are healthy!

Jewel said...

It's scary. I don't blame you for keeping your kids home. We've been so lucky so far, just sniffles but I'm worried that our luck will run out soon. My kids just know the rules, even Brooklyn is all about HAND WASHING these days!

cindy W said...

The scary thing is once it gets in the air, it spreads...so schools are a bad thing. I think lots of parents still send their kids to school before they know how really sick they are.
sigh...I dunno.